Thursday, September 24, 2009

What's the Internet for if not Being Creepy?

No matter how I try, I still feel new at all of this, this "internet" stuff. (Yes, those quotes were used sarcastically. No, I am not that new.)

I mean, I've got email down. It makes sense. My foray into the blogosphere has so far been successful. News cites are simple enough. Amazon even is getting easy-breezier with every purchase, but that's about as far as I usually stray off the beaten course from homepage to email and straight to that red X in the corner.

So, for reasons unknown to yours truly, I signed up for an account on delicious a week or two ago. After getting over the initial joy of bookmarking recipes and random things aplenty (make my own bathbombs? yes please!) I realized that delicious can actually be more than a timesuck. Social bookmarking websites can be great resources, especially for someone like me trying to blog on a regular basis, because of that mysterious social element.

I traipsed around the website, following random links until I found the one: my social bookmarking soulmate!

Ok, so maybe not my soulmate, but a like-thinker out there operating on the same mind-frequency as me. What tipped me off to this? In LaCygne's top tags BtVS is the fourth most-tagged (with 68 total sites) and feminism comes in sixth with 45 tags. I know, I know, I would have been sold with the Buffy tags alone, but LaCygne's tags have a more social-trend vibe than most solely Buffy fans did. (You have no idea how many users out there are either complete fans of the same show as me or are really into feminism, but how very few fall into both of those categories. At least bookmark-wise.)

Now, I know what you're thinking. But dear Buffy Buff, why ever are you telling me about somebody else's delicious account? What does this have to do with anything?

Well, luckily I found such a cool person for this or my point would be a lot harder to make. The thing is, instead of having to wade through twenties of tens of blogs before I find a suitable article that fits my tastes and high high standards (oh, such terribly high standards) I can just go hang out on LaCygne's delicious account and see what's been tagged recently, or search by tag, or whatever.

So really I'm just sharing my fun find with you all here. LaCygne tagged a lot of good stuff for any reader really, and I especially liked this link to a conversation with Anthony Stewart Head (in terms of Buffiness) and this link to a NY Times article about how men see smart women in the dating world (in terms of feminist articles).

All in all, there's a lot of fun to be had over at LaCygne's delicious account, and I'll have my eyes out for any more fascinating delicious users who have this blog's ideas in mind. Because really, what's more fun-albeit-a-tad-creepy than snooping around other people's information on the internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment