Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hello, World!

For a while now I've been wondering if the world has just decided "Hey, maybe it's a bad place to live, but at least we've got hot dance beats" or if I'm the only sane one left. Mostly this pondering is due to Katy Perry and her, if danceable, utterly depressing pop hits like "I Kissed a Girl" and "Hot n' Cold". I swore I was the only one in the world who saw something wrong with the way she not only condones using women (I'm of the belief school that using people, in general, is a big ole no-no, even if you're Katy Perry) but also seems to see girls kissing other girls as more a show for any and all male viewers (if you don't know what I mean, do watch the video) than an expression of her own desire. I staggered around life, depressed, hurting for the sake of the world. Or something dramatic like that.

Then, I googled. And I found voices of reason. I found sane people in what I had assumed was a world lost of all sense. I found others who shared my view.

You know that feeling when you stumble on sudden kindred-thinkers? When the world feels good and right and comprehensible? That's what happened with me.

Thus, I found it most fitting to embark on my own personal mission to, in one way or another, point out all things wrong with pop culture. Ok, so maybe that's setting myself up for failure, but to at least outline the biases and -isms apparent in today's television and media. Who hasn't found it just a tad depressing that women in horror movies are around as victims or sex symbols? Who hasn't found it odd that only after Stephen Moyer made a sexist comment did anyone realize that True Blood is an incredibly biased show? (If you answered "not me" to either of those questions, please stick around. You have much to learn.)

As for my qualifications on this topic? Well, I'm just some girl who grew up in a really socially conservative part of the U.S., who almost exploded in a fit of happiness and belongingness upon reaching L.A. for college. I'd like to say I know everything about the feminist viewpoint, but I'm still a little new at all this open-minded-good-feeling-doing-right-in-the-world stuff, so it's a learning community here. My log o' blogs is full of those same voices that I mentioned earlier, those oh-so-deliciously-sane people who may be just a tad more eloquent than yours truly, and possibly a touch more researched in the art of feminism.

I'm also a complete Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, and will make a ridiculous number of posts and references to Buffy. I apologize in advance, and will try my hardest to keep all fantacular meltdowns expressing my utter Buffy joy to a minimum. Though I can't make any promises.

I can only hope that the next time you turn on the radio and hear Katy Perry gushing about just how much she liked it, that maybe while you're dancing you'll wonder just why most of America likes it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment